Thursday 5 February 2015

Buttercup - The Princess Bride's Wedding Dress!


"Mawwige...."

I am of the opinion that only two types of people truly exist. Those who quote The Princess Bride and those who quote Withnail And I.
I've always loved this film but was never a big fan of Buttercup's main costume, the orange/tan affair that she gets herself kidnapped in. But a couple of years ago I had the job of making a shirt for a Westley cosplayer I hang out with, so when I noticed this dress on a recent rewatch I decided I'd have a look at it!
Fortunately this piece, along with Westley's costume and Inigo Montoya's, are currently in the EMP in Seattle. Museums are great as they usually have hi-res photos on the catalogue sites or in the museum's publicity for new exhibits, and if they don't there is usually a photographer who has taken them.
It's largely medieval, two parts to the dress - an overdress and an underdress. As can be seen here - 


The colour is another one where it changes beween how it looks in photos and between scenes in the film, seeming to change from ivory to silver to blue. Personally I'm going for a very light blue if it's achievable with the fabric I have, and if not ivory will do.







Bodice - cotton pipe on the centre line and edged with narrow silver piping. Mine comes up slightly higher because I'm somewhat larger in the bust. Fit comes first!




Close up of the silver piping, and I've overlaid the first sets of trim to see how they'll look - 





To get the right line at the back I had to screencap Buttercup throwing a hissyfit at Prince Humperdinck. It looks like it has a zip close so I've left it until I get the top fabrics.




Next on this - The Crown! Until I find my second fabric. <3


Wuv.... Twoo Wuv...

No comments:

Post a Comment